Music Spotlight

"Group 1 Crew"


Group 1 Crew is my newest obsession. The songs are catchy, happy and up-beat. I usually don't like hip-hop, but these guys rap for God, so I just gotta love it. I like how the girl and the guy go back and forth. Go check em out! You'll have "I Have A Dream" stuck in your head, but it's worth it.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Stretch Out Your Universe

When was the last time you tried something new?

It's too easy to get stuck in the same box. You find a routine that you like, and that's what you stick with. You know what foods you like and what you don't. You know what type of art you can draw. You know what type of stories (or essays or whatever) you can write.
But then, something happens. The food starts tasting bland. The drawings all look the same, all the stories read the same way. What's happened?
Congratulations, you've worked yourself into a rut. Now how to fix it?

Well, I don't know what you do. I'm sure there's more than one way to get out of a rut. 
I usually do something new.

Come on! What's the harm in painting instead of sketching? Learn how to make Thai to replace Mexican. (I would gladly take Thai any day..shhh...) 

These days, I've been doing new things. Monday I'm going to lay down grass. THAT should be a bucketload of fun. I've been art-journaling. I've been singing. I've been trying every writing prompt out there and stretching my stuff. THEN I go back to my normal sketches and stories about drunken pyros and spineless personal assistants and ranch-hands who to go magical worlds. I just go back with new ideas. A fresh perspective. A few new tricks up my sleeve.
Now, if only I could find the nerve to ask what the neighbor boy's name was.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment